From The New York Times, October 12, 1961

Leonard Marx

Leonard Marx, 74, famous mathematician, died yesterday at the Cedars of Lebanon Hospital in Los Angeles after a heart attack. Dr. Marx was the son of Samuel Marx and the former Minnie Schoenberg of New York.

His mathematical career began when students from the CCNY mathematics department recognized the young math whiz during a visit to his grade school. Marx later said, "If I hadn't had the math scholarship, I would have ended up delivering suits for 'Frenchy'." [his father]

Marx's accomplishments included significant advances in number theory and practical work in calculating the relativity experiments of the twenties, particularly the stellar displacement observed during solar eclipses. Later, he turned more to administrative matters, becoming the director of the calculator department of the Manhattan Project. Los Alamos director Dr. J, Robert Oppenheimer acknowledged that "Leonard could get more work out of those women than anyone else."

Far from being a remote "brain", Marx was known as a fun fellow. His colleague Dr. Richard Feynman has described playing the drums as backup to Marx's piano playing, and Princeton colleagues remember well his concerts with Einstein. He would entertain at parties with ethnic imitations, being an Italian gangster or a German huckster with equal fluency. He was a Grandmaster at bridge.

Marx is survived by his daughter Minnie Allen, his ex-wife the former Betty Karp, five brothers, television star Mr. Manny Shean, Mr Arthur Marx, Dr. Julius H. Marx, M.D. of Los Angeles, Mr. Milton Marx, and Mr. Herbert Marx, President of Marx Engineering & Manufacturing. The funeral will be October 13.

From The New York Times, September 30, 1964

Death Stills the Melody of an Angel

Adolph Marx, 75

Musical genius Adolph Marx died Monday at Mount Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles after heart surgery. Born in New York on November 23, 1888 to tailor Samuel Marx and the former Minnie Schoenberg, Marx's musical genius was recognized at an early age. He dropped out of school to pursue a musical career, at first playing in the streets, but later being dragged by his brother, Leonard Marx (later Dr. Leonard Marx, the mathematician and Manhattan Project administrator) into more formal music lessons.

Marx soon found his metier as a harpist, being accepted after a blind audition into the New York Philharmonic. He added to his luster by taking on several demanding pieces and became known for his proficiency.

The great accomplishments of his art came in the wake of a tragic personal incident. In 1933, Marx was sent to the Soviet Union as a good-will ambassador, in the wake of American recognition of the Russian government. In Germany, however, he was pulled off the train by SA stormtrooper thugs after a border guard reported his name to them, and was beaten so severely that he spent almost a year in the hospital afterwards, and never spoke again.

In his isolation, Marx's only release was his music, and he poured his heart and soul into it, becoming the greatest harp player of his era. His return to the stage in 1936 was marked by the plaudits of his peers and the applause of the spectators.

In the fifties, Marx extended his career to the new medium of television. Several of the renowned "Young People's Concerts" were brightened by his playing.

Another feature of his music was the playfulness with which he approached the material. Particularly after losing his voice, he accompanied the music with a gallery of facial expressions and contortions. Director Leonard Bernstein said "I could tell when the tone was off when Marx twisted his face into that gargoyle's look." He used this talent to greater extent in his solo concerts, often driving an audience to hysterics by walking completely around the harp while playing, or by chasing a female accompanist around the stage. Serious music critics conceded that during these antics he adhered to playing the music itself as written.

Marx released a number of albums on the Columbia label during his career. His valedictory, released last year, was _His Voice Is Stilled But His Harp Speaks_, a two-disk LP album containing over forty of his best pieces.

Marx is survived by three brothers, his wife, the former Susan Fleming, and four children. Funeral plans are private.

From Locus, The Magazine of the Science Fiction Field, October 1977

Dr. Julius H. Marx, M.D., well-known fannish letterhack, died on August 19, 1977 in Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles, at the age of 86. Born in New York City in October of 1890, Julius studied medicine at Columbia, moving west after the First World War to practice in the booming town of Los Angeles.

His fannish career did not begin until comparatively late in life. During the PacificCon of 1946, Dr. Marx was on call for medical emergencies and was called to the con hotel for what turned out to be a false alarm. While waiting for a cab home, he read what happened to be available, which turned out to be a bundle of fanzines left by an unidentified fan.

Over the next few weeks, faneds across the country were delighted and astounded to receive bizarre, pun-filled exuberant locs from a heretofore unknown fan. Dr. Marx was invited to attend the meetings of the Los Angeles Science Fiction Society, and in spite of his well known comment "I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member," became one of the first LASFS Saints and a mainstay of the club for as long as his health held up.

From his always-funny column in _Quandry_, "Julius and Me", to his almost-risque writings about sex, love, and marriage collected by Advent:Publishers under the title _Memoirs of a Mangy Lover_, Julius's fannish writings were a perpetual source of joy and lightness. As Bob Tucker said in the introduction to his Eightieth Birthday one-shot, _Marks of Strain and Strain of Marx_, "I can't imagine Fandom without Julie."

Dr. Marx is survived by two ex-wives, a son, Arthur, a daughter, Melinda, and a grandson, as well as two brothers. Three other brothers, including famed Manhattan Project administrator and mathematician Dr. Leonard Marx, predeceased him.

From Army Times, 29 April 1977

Colonel Milton Marx, 1892-1977

Milton Marx, Colonel (ret) USA, Army Investigative Service, died at the Eisenhower Medical Center in Palm Springs, California, on 21 April 1977. Preliminary indications place the cause of death as heart failure.

Colonel Marx was drafted into the US Army in 1918, spending the war as an instructor. After the war, thanks to a recommendation by his commanding officer, he was transferred to the Regular Army, where he was attached to the Investigative Service. He remained in this arm throughout his career.

In 1929 Marx was sent to OCS, emerging with a commission. He was subsequently attached to the office of the Military Attache to Yugoslavia, where he reportedly engaged in military intelligence duties. During the Second World War he served in the Provost Office of SHAEF, and, due to his knowledge of the German language, was chief detective investigator for the Allied Military Government of Germany, during which time he acquired the nickname of "Gumshoe". In 1952, Colonel Marx retired from the service to take up a post as Vice-President of Marx Engineering & Manufacturing, the company founded by his brother Herbert, where he served until his final retirement in 1962.

Colonel Marx's awards included the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star with Oakleaf Cluster, and the Army Commendation Medal with two Oakleaf Clusters.

Marx is survived by two brothers, his wife, the former Helen von Tilzer, and their son and daughter. The funeral was 24 April.

From The Los Angeles Times, December 1, 1979

Herbert Marx, Prominent Industrialist, Dies.

Herbert Marx, industrial titan of the aerospace parts industry, died of lung cancer early Friday, November 30, at Eisenhower Medical Center in Palm Springs. Born in New York City on February 25, 1901, Marx showed an early mechanical aptitude. As his late brother, Los Angeles physician Dr. Julius H. Marx, complained, "Herbert kept hidden the flaws of our car until we gave up and sold it to him, when it began to run perfectly. And then he leased it back to us at five dollars a night -- the low-down thief!"

With the postwar boom in flying, Marx began building and improving aircraft engines. He soon found it necessary to incorporate, and founded Marx Engineering & Manufacturing, which has grown into a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Los Angeles. The company's first big contract was to provide parts for the U.S. Navy's dirigible Los Angeles, built in Germany. Marx said later on "We underbid the contract and took a big loss on the zeppelin, but what we lost on that we earned back a thousand times over, since we got more contracts based on our reliability." For his work on the Los Angeles, Marx gained the nickname of "the Zeppelin Man", often shortened to "Zep".

The company continued its growth during World War Two and afterwards in the aircraft parts business. His then wife, the former Barbara Blakeley, (now Mrs. Frank Sinatra), urged the company to enter the space industry, and ME&M became a significant subcontractor to Grauman and North American.

Marx stepped down as President and Chairman of the Board of the company in 1970, handing over to his son Timothy. He is survived by his sons Timothy Marx and Thomas Marx. Memorial services are scheduled for 2 p.m. Sunday at Wiefels and Sons Mortuary, Palm Springs. The body is to be cremated.

From The New York Times, July 18, 1966

Mannie Shean

Mannie Shean, 80, died yesterday in Los Angeles of liver cancer. Born in January 1886 to Samuel Marx and the former Minnie Schoenberg as Manfred Marx, Shean took his stage name from his uncle, Al Shean of the famous vaudeville team Gallagher and Shean. He began performing in vaudeville with his uncle at the age of twelve.

Gradually, Shean moved from vaudeville to Broadway. His breakthrough performance was in "N'Everything", a review written by his uncle, appearing on Broadway in 1920. Shean was teamed there with his future wife, Daisy Moller, whose wit and looks endeared her to the young comedian; they were married within the year.

Their breakthrough came with "Give Me a Thrill" in 1924, where he appeared with Daisy as the winning suitor who wins her hand. Noted critic Alexander Woollcott made Shean's career with his striking description, "Surely there should be dancing when a great clown comes to town, and this man is a great clown."

Shean also saw the potentials of film, and shortly after the closing of "Give Me a Thrill" starred in the silent film "Humorisk" (1925), but his real triumphs did not come until after the development of sound. "Cracked Ice" (1933) took on the rising tide of fascism, with Shean and Daisy playing the president of a small, threatened, country and his pompous, yet loving wife. They reversed the positions in "Peace and Quiet" (1937), where Daisy, a horse-breeder, has to save Shean's Turntable Medical Clinic.

After the war, it appeared his career had been blighted by the poor performance of "Diamonds in the Sidewalk" (1950) (Coincidentally, it was the first screen appearance of Marilyn Monroe). Fortunately, Shean began to appear in television shows at that time. After several stunning guest stunts with Milton Berle, Red Buttons, and other variety hosts, he was offered his own show.

The preview of "Highway to Heaven" in 1956 revealed an old talent to a new audience. "Deputy Seraph" Shean used his comedic and acting talents to appear as dozens of angelic helpers, offering comfort and assistance to despondent and troubled people all over the country. The show became an immediate hit, and was only canceled in 1960 due to Shean's tiredness with the TV format.

His wife, Daisy, died in 1965; Shean is survived by his three brothers Dr. Julius H. Marx, Colonel Milton Marx, and industrialist Herbert Marx. Funeral plans are indeterminate at this time.